Friday, January 9, 2009

What I wrote this morning

Before he knew it, he was at the top of a small incline and the village was below. Fleance spied the tavern and happily cajoled his weary horse down the hill. With his heart beating fast, he slid off Willow, tied him up and went into the tavern. Dougal was behind the bar and looked up as he came in.
Suddenly and with a roar, Rosie’s father rushed him, knocking back out of the tavern and onto his backside. “You’ve got a nerve,” he cried. “I don’t know what your excuse is this time but you’ll never see her again while I live.”
Fleance was stunned. Painfully, he stood up. “I was set upon, Dougal. Look at me. See my scars.”
“I don’t care, Flea. She waited and waited for yer. Now, I’ve sent her away. She’s not here and you will not find her.”
“But, I came for her as I promised.”
“Actions speak louder than any empty promises. She’s better off without you.” He put his hands on his hips. “Now, away with you. You are not welcome here.” Then, he stomped back into the tavern and slammed shut the door, leaving Fleance outside in the rain, his heart breaking, no food, no gold, nowhere to go but worse than all of this, no Rosie.

No comments: