Friday, February 6, 2009

Fleur's place

I am happily sequested away in a turret (Fleur's upstairs study) going through all the notes and questions and scribbles from all contributors. I am currently at chapter 10 and am really happy with the improvements I've made. While I do this, Fleur is, with sharp pencil, scribbling all over the last third of the book. Sometimes saying 'no!no!no! and other times going 'yes!'yes!'

I hope to get on the plane back to Dunedin with the completed manuscript for my editor at Penguin to a have final read through.

One of the enjoyable aspects of this process is rediscovering good bits. Also, because I know the ending and the characters so well, I can see lots of places to embellish.

Tomorrow sees the arrival of my researcher. Later in the evening we will have drinks and nibbles with John and Ruth McIntyre from the Children's Bookshop, the unstoppable Barbara Murison and the exceedingly beautiful and talented Fifi Colston.

No comments: