Monday, November 1, 2010

Finding Fleance

For the past few weeks, I have been working and re-working the first two chapters of Birthright. Why, because I need to get into the boy's mind again. I've been out doing other things and now I want to ensure that these opening chapters set the scene and tone properly.

I'm almost there. I'm liking his honesty. That, as he says,
Public displays always make him anxious but he had learned to apply the skills taught by Magness. To participate successfully in the cross-bow competitions all those years ago. Though all might have eyes fixed on him, a truth he came to understand very quickly was that they were not seeing his real self but rather what they expected to see in the role he was performing. So, whether it was on the range, addressing his soldiers or Scotland’s people, he was able to fulfil the expectations of his audience and keep his heart protected from evil.

But like all things solid and good, laying the foundation properly is critical to the rest being solid.

I wrote part of a chapter placed about half way in (though I haven't written the inbetween stuff) and cried for two hours. I think this is a good sign.

I have on my shoulders two voices: Vicki and Josh (and they are not evil but good) urging certain things of me and reminding me of what needs to be done and how.

This helps.

I will now stop avoiding the actual task of writing the third book and actually, um, go back to writing it.
Ciao
Tania

No comments: